The Magic Bus
As I mentioned in a previous post, I travelled NZ with a backpacker bus called The Magic Bus. In hindsight would I do it again? I’m not sure I would but I’m not sure I wouldn’t. Here are the Pros and Cons:
- They drop you off at a select list of hostels which is convenient, especially when you are lugging a big backpack and food
- There is a 24-hour seat guarantee
- They stop at some sites of interest aong the way that you might miss if you took a regular coach
- You might be able to meet people more easily than if you were riding a coach
- You will be inoculated with what I consider either bad music or the same music. Every bus driver seemed to like U2 and Red Hot Chili Peppers. The worst songs I heard have got to be YMCA and Hands Up.
- They don’t give you much time at the aforementioned sites of interest. Just enough for a photo opportunity. I wanted to soak in the scenery first!
- In the winter time they don’t have buses running everyday which means you might need to change your schedule to accommodate theirs
- They don’t have a toll-free (or what the Kiwis call freephone) number. You could make changes via the internet but since the internet is so expensive, i tried to avoid doing it this way as much as possible.